Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Ma's surprise

Strolling through K-9 Town, I reached a favorite spot, where the sweet smells of colorful wild flowers, and the peaceful sounds of tiny creatures clinging to bright foliage, were enough to make me wanna lay down right there. But I had no mind to, not this time... I kept goin'.

Something was tugging on me, and I knew only one thing could take over me like that... Ma.

I didn't know what to expect, but I knew if Ma was in danger, Babee would have gotten word to me. I kept goin' in the direction I was pulled to go. 

Then I saw them!



I can't recall when I was that happy to see anything... but Ma's smiling face.

I howled... something I don't normally do... so loud, that birds took to the sky and the little creatures just mentioned went dead quiet. I scampered over to Ma and my baby brother.

"How's this for a surprise, Omar," she cried out, coming towards me with open arms, then encircling me in a tight hug. "It's my birthday. It's a big one so me and Babee decided to spend it with you and our pack."

I was about to let on how happy I was, when loud trampling, coming fast, scurried within earshot.

My howling had alerted my friends that something unexpected was happening. They wanted to be at my side. That's how we do for each other. 

Ma beamed, watching proudly as some dogs came close and others prowled the area - until they saw her and Babee. 

Cheerful yaps and spins took over a pack that seconds before were about to vengefully tackle any affronting situation.

"Calm down my beasts," Ma exclaimed joyfully, patting heads and vigorously rubbing bodies that took turns leaning against her for that special touch.


After loosing Babee from the lead that kept him from getting away from her during transport he ran off with his rough and ready young friends.

Time went too fast as we filled her in on a few things "we thought" she wasn't aware of but found out differently.

The females jumped with glee when Ma took their side against the males teaching the puppies, that they'd just came from, bad habits that were making them more unruly. Not that they couldn't handle them, but that wasn't the point.

As day passed on to a dark blue, treelined starry night, Ma, and Babee, grew tired. The time had come to say so long, for now. But not before the crooning bloodhound Lufa, and the usually shy wolf Bennie Ba, settled on a ridge close by, and surprised us all with a melody that raised Ma's birthday to new heights. 

With a wave of howlings, we all joined in. 


"Happy Birthday to meee!" Ma joined in too, looking as happy as I'd ever seen her, and so were we.

After the spirited sing along, as she and Babee cheerfully departed, both looked back. Their looks told all... No words needed sayin'.

Omar

No comments:

Post a Comment