Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Omar Blue And The Fetch A Cure Fundraisers

Not long along I told you how daughter Joy and I were volunteer members of an organization called Fetch A Cure.  If you recall we took Omar and the K-9 Town Peepers with us to an event so they could take word back to the  Pack that there are people who really care about their canine families and friends.  Now they love hearing about  Fetch A Cure. 

Thursday, May 31st and Friday, June 1st, the 2nd Annual Car Pool Bow Tie Open Golf Tournament and the 5th Annual Pets on Parade Benefit & Auction.  Fetch A Cure’s two biggest fundraisers of the year, to raise awareness and funds for Fetch A Cure's community oriented programs.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Come on Ma.


Here’s Omar waiting impatiently for me to come in and check again on word about the total amount the events had raised. He and his pack know that it takes lots of “that thing called money” to keep these important programs going. They love hearing about the Companions in Crisis program, which provides financial assistance to people that can’t afford treatments and medication for their pets diagnosed with cancer.

Omar says the female Elders at K-9 Town can cure anything, but being the devoted animals they are, these pets don’t like leaving their people families for too long at a time.
 
Another of the pack’s favorites. Through a partnership with the Virginia Department of Corrections, inmates at Virginia correctional centers train and socialize rescue dogs with guidance and instruction from two professional dog trainers. The Pen Pals program not only lowers the rate of euthanasia in Virginia’s city dog shelters, but also provides life skills to inmates. The rescue dogs chosen for the program come from Richmond Animal Control and Southside SPCA shelters. On average, 90 dogs are rescued and placed into loving homes every year through Pen Pals 

We all know how Omar and his pack are big on rescues.  I don’t think I’ll tell him where these shelters are located.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
How'd we do?

Back to our original conversation, Omar and I went back into the house to see if there was any news. There was.  The two events were tremendous successes. PROCEEDS TOTALED NEARLY $220,000.  That’s right, $220,000.  All the hard work paid off. 
I was talking to Omar, I thought.  We can continue our mission to improve quality of life by connecting people and pets!!  Our vision is intact!!  We may one day see a community where no one is denied a choice for their pet because of lack of options, education or funding!!”
I snapped out of my happy, somewhat loud moment and got to the door just in time to see Omar rounding a corner at top speed, headed for his beloved K-9 Town, USA, where his pack would surely be waiting.


--------------------------

As usual, I’ve told my story my way but this time I didn’t stray too far from the real deal.

Go to the Fetch A Cure site at http://www.fetchacure.com/ to get a full understanding of the help that’s available to you and our furry friends. 

Mention Fetch A Cure to family and friends.

Volunteer.

4 comments:

  1. What a great cause! And, WOW, that's a lot of money raised--that is awesome! I love the penal programs that use inmates to help train the puppies and dogs--that's a WIN-WIN situation for everyone! They're also using dogs a lot in the veterans programs to help veterans recover from their psychological trauma and PTSD--another great program! I tweeted and posted a link to your blog on FB and I also liked your Amazon book pages. This is such a cool blog and you and Joy are doing such wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. I'm very happy to be affiliated with Fetch A Cure. They do exactly what they say and I'm surprised at how many people I meet who have benefitted from their services.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a dog person -- they hate and attack me as well I'm allergic -- but otherwise your'e damn close to turning me into one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a compliment! Thank you. If it weren't for your allergies I'd tell you there is a wonderful dog out there whose love and loyalty would bring you more joy than you can imagine. Hope you'll visit us again soon. Always something going on here.

      Delete