Saturday, April 25, 2020

Wolf Bennie Ba's Story - The puppies want it!


Omar Blue



Hi everyone. I hope you are listening to Ma, and staying safe and healthy.

I'm waiting with the puppies, for that big lug, Wolf Bennie Ba. As well-loved as he is now, there was a time when his ways would have curdled your blood. He was a real devil. I'm talking about the life he led before finding us, and the hate between him and the timber wolf, Shocka Din. 

The puppies have been after him to tell them what happened to cause all that hate. They've stampeded him, followed him around, entertained him with baby howling contests, Ahoooowl!!...      Ahoowl!... Ahooooowl!!..., and more, determined not to let up until he caved in. Bennie don't like a lot of attention, but he sure loves our little playful, naughty, puppies. We all knew he'd give in. Here he comes now, moseying along, trying to think of a way to get out of this. Gazing at me, for help. I'm avoiding his eyes. Nope. Not this time, Bennie. All in the name of love... Hahahaha! 


"Speed it up, Bennie Boy! That's the only way you're gonna get through this! And I'm staying to listen, in case you try to pull a fast one and skip some. Quiet those puppies down and get started!"




Some friend!... I see him giggling!... He'll explode if he don't let it out!... Hope he does, AhHahahaha. "Okay, okay! I'm here! Settle down pups! Le, Li and Lu, stop triple teaming Cocker Joe! You know he'll get you back. Those Chihuahuas...I swear. Joe, wait until later. Sit down now! I'm starting!"




Here goes. Shocka and me are close in age, with just about the same start.

As a little pup I was sickly. My Ma and Pa were wild. They'd leave me for days at a time, with no food, to struggle along. One day they decided I was still too much trouble. They up and left me to fend for myself. Didn't even say good by. 

"Oh no!" Sympathetic puppy shrieks.

I was sad and afraid at first, but that didn’t last. I taught myself to hunt and live off the land. I got strong and my sickness passed.

I met Shocka when we were both youngins. He and his siblings had lost their Ma and Pa in a fire. There were three of them. They wouldn't have lasted long. I showed them how to hunt, find food and who their enemies were.  Shocka and I got along but the other two were mean and sneaky. They hated me because I was white colored and different, and didn’t like that I could live on my own, because they knew they couldn’t. I never said anything to Shocka Din because they were his kin, but I knew the two no-goods were going to try something one day. I stayed on my guard! he added, eyes narrowed, back hunched, for effect.

We should have been there with you, Bennie. We would have whipped those bad timber wolves and made them sorry, spouted the pups, unsuccessfully imitating Bennie's eyes and stance.

Holding back his amusement. I was off by myself one day, when they finally got up the nerve to jump me. Did it while my back was turned!! But, they didn’t know me as well as they thought they did. I was much stronger and more dangerous than they knew.  Something came over me during that fight. I beat them bad. Threw everything I'd learned at them! I was a wilderness savage and I couldn't have stopped if I wanted to!... pausing, relaxing tense muscles. I killed one and hurt the other real bad.

When Shocka returned and saw what I had done, he came at me like one of those crazy wild boars we tell you to stay away from! We fought, fought, and fought some more! Biting... kicking... gouging...,  paying no attention to the blood we were spurting out! He was more a fighter than both his brothers put together. 

We hurt each other severely that day, but survived to go our separate ways. Total silence from the intense wide-eyed minis as images of the confrontation overwhelmed them. After that fight, we parted ways! Shocka went on to become a mean, cruel, pack leader. I became known as The Ghost, a wild, vicious animal that didn't care if I lived or died.

I admit to being as mean as Shocka Din at the time, and putting down a few of his followers who thought they would get in his good grace, by doing away with me. I'd have started after them anyway, but they didn't give me a chance. That's the life I was living.

Shocka and my paths have crossed a few times since then, each time ending in bloodshed. Then, there was the nastiest fight of all. They almost killed me that time, but that’s the one that led me to that mischief making leader of ours over there, Omar Blue, you puppies, and the rest of my family here, so I'm not complaining... You all know, you're the best things to ever happen to me?!! 

Ahooooowl!! came the long, loving, small fries' unanimous howls. Undoubtedly, ready to get away, so they could duplicate some of Bennie's battles, the excited fur-babies ended the gathering by circling Bennie, tripping over each other, as usual, and receiving his heartfelt pats and strokes. 

When they scampered away, we could hear them yammering about how they would have handled Shocka Din's back biting, ornery kin.

Uh oh! Here comes Bennie.

Omar Blue, you're really something!... You know that! he growled, tight lipped and eyes bulging, feigning anger at his  dear friend.

Yep, I know! Come on, Pal. Let's go find some berry juice. You deserve it!



No comments:

Post a Comment